Tuesday, April 28, 2009

done...ish....

I started these for Valentines day....I knew they wouldn't take long to do and would look fun hanging from a cupboard nob or something like that.........Then I told myself that I would get them done for Easter baskets, hummmm, yes.......well, close.....but no cigar. SO, now they are done.........mostly.............
I don't have a picture of them framed yet, as only three of them are. I did get all the frames painted and distressed though........

It was a beautiful day here yesterday and LBC and I went for a hike over on the hill. It's not far from home, about half a mile is all. We discovered some petroglyphs that I had never seen before in the 30 years I've lived here....and so close to home and my wanderings! As you can see by the pictures, someone else had previously discovered these same petroglyphs!!! Harry Thompson to be exact! Whoever he was! And Leon somebody, and MHM.. The knot heads! The funny thing is, I had seen The Harry Thompson name carved into the rocks lots of times and knew it was there, but I had never noticed the real petroglyph behind his name. They had absolutely no respect for what was there, and carved their names right over the top of it! In a few places! It was hard for me to see into my camera and know what I was taking a picture because the sun was very bright....so these are not too great. Later in the day was better, but I forgot my camera that time.....We went back over to the hill after my Dh got home from work because I wanted to show him this place and see if he remembered seeing these as a kid living here. He hadn't seen them he didn't think. And while we were standing there, looking up at them, I noticed some more lower down! I will post some new pictures and this time I'll try to get the entire petroglyph! I have a friend who just lives a mile or so around the road, and along her hill she has a lot of really nice ones, but we had never noticed any this close to our home before! I was excited! I LOVE LOVE LOVE history! I told LBC that ancient peoples stood where we were standing, I know I had chills up and down my arms...lol......he, on the other hand was unimpressed . And later in the day as we were at the stack yard loading hay, I told him that whoever had drawn the pictures most likely would have come to get water from the creek by our house because it was the closest place for water, and his reply was, "I doubt it mom". ( in reality this could be true, cuz who knows where the water ran all those hundreds and hundreds of years ago....but I didn't even thing to bring that up...I would be interested to know his opion on that topic! lol) There is just no accounting for the interests of a 12 year old boy! He thought it was "cool", but nothing to rave about! (geeeeeze mom)

You can see the names are over the Goats? Sheep? I don't think it's deer because there is a good deer just above these and it is different. But the very far right of the goats, is a wolf or a coyote following the herd. I only got it's head because I didn't realize what it was until I went back over in the evening. I'll try for some better pictures.... But you can see Harry's name and Leon's over the picture. Harry's name has been there a long time, Leon's is a newer scratch. And to the right side of the MHM is the big deer buck, and the M is over another smaller deer. I don't know what the long squiggly things are, maybe river?, maybe snakes? They look like they have eyes, and the top one has something spouting up.....


closer view of the buck.

LBC standing and looking at it all. You can see the coyote?/ wolf? / dog? at the end of the goats/sheep . I don't think it's a dog tho....


Here you can see the eyes and the spout pretty good, and you can see the difference in color and depth of the drawings and modern scratches.


This is looking up, from down lower, you can see where we had to climb up to to get a good look. There horse that you can see when you click on the picture is a modern day petroglyph....maybe Harry Thompson was trying his hand at a horse. There is also a modern day train that is by another of his autograph's.


These are wild onions and they are everywhere on these hills. They smell so good! Go out and enjoy the historic things that are around your homes! I wish I could come and see everyone of them what ever they are! :-) We have a beautiful country rich in the histories of so many different cultures and peoples! Don't you wonder what they were all like? And what their lives were like? And how they lived from day to day? (yeah, yeah, I know I get a little carried away....but......don't you wonder?............)

A pair of 6 year old's came to visit me yesterday while their mom was having a hair cut....But they didn't hardly even come in the house..........they had more important things to do! lol

Hope you are having some warm sunny days in your neck of the woods this week. ♥

4 comments:

Janene said...

Those are great pics!
It is so sad to see that other people have ruined such awesome historical etchings.
I love history and it is so great to see it close to home.

Ruth said...

I would have to agree that its really sad that people do that. I remembered about the place we rolled Easter eggs when I started reading this blog. I had so much fun when we did that.

live.laugh.love. said...

It kinda sucks that they are written on but still very cool! I want to go sometime!! How's math coming? Are you doing it? I think a break would be good for him but then again I'm not his mom :)

I had my surgery today and everything went very well. I am feeling fine! It's probably the vicidine but still at least I'm not in pain! It took probably 30 min and my mom said I was pretty funny. I'll share later :) love ya!

Gayle said...

How cool that those petroglyphs are so close to your home! I saw a quilt made once that had appliqued shapes that were taken from Newspaper Rock - I was thinking it would be fun to make a hooked rug doing the same kind of thing.