Thursday, August 13, 2009

I can't believe I missed it!/ edited version...

Google tells us, That..............

"National S’mores Day is an annual event that is celebrated every August 10th. S’mores have been around for a long, long time. The Girl Scouts invented the tasty treat way back in 1927.

For many people, s’mores conjure up memories of youth, camping trips and memorable moments spent around the campfire with loved ones. The ooey gooey goodness of warm chocolate and marshmallows sandwiched between two graham crackers over a cracklin’ campfire. Delish!"

***
I
.
L
O
V
E
.
S
'M
O
R
E
S
.
***

I was reading a post today on Country Pleasures, where I learned that 3 days ago was National S'more Day.

http://countrypleasures.blogspot.com/

Thanks for bringing this to our notice Sue!


Had I know this day loomed on the horizon, I would have planned for it. As it was, the S'mores Day julibee passed by unnoticed and uncelebrated! ........LOL


Here's a little 'S'more' trivia for today....The Hershey Company produces Hershey's Milk Chocolate bars for 746 million S'mores annually, while 90 million pounds of marshmallows are annually produced! No small amount. We all love the ooey gooey of warm chocolate and marshmallows I'm guessing.

We've tried short cut Smores, using chocolate covered cookies instead of the chocolate bar and graham crackers. Not the same . A first for our family this year, were S'mores made with Resses Peanut butter cups instead of Milk Chocolate bars. They were good, but I would rather eat the peanut butter bar plain, little bite by little bite! But I'm a S'more traditionalist, preferring to use the original 1927 recipe.


Summer time isn't the only time we eat S'mores. We eat em all winter long, standin around the burner of our kitchen stove roasting marshmallows on dinner forks.




You can find all kinds of recipes and variations on Google. And for all of you die hards, here is a S'more promotion/contest for you to enter. (not sure of the deadline)
http://kraft.promotions.com/smoresiwg/page.do?page=splash.html


added wed evening, aug 10th......
My friend Brandi says the toasted coconut and Carmel swirl marshmallows are yummy! So there is another variation...

I love the coconut marshmallows just plain. In fact I don't buy them any more because i just snarf the entire bag down ! We had Carmel popcorn balls at Home evening a couple of Mondays ago, and they were made using the Carmel swirl marshmallows. They were way good... (just a little side note that has nothing what so ever to do with Smores.....).


I would recommend some S'mores this weekend. My personal preference would be to indulge while sitting in camp chairs around the fire pit out in my yard. Yummy Good Times.








***


AND, did you know, because I didn't, that Webster's Dictionary has add the word 'staycation' to it's pages?



AND AND, tomorrow, August 14th, is National Creamsicle Day? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popsicle







AND AND AND, Saturday, August 15th is National Lemon Meringue Pie Day? http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandmas-Lemon-Meringue-Pie/Detail.aspx






Have a very ooey, gooey weekend everyone! And don't forget to eat a creamsicle tomorrow, and some lemon pie on Saturday!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't mind the plug, thanks! And Saturday is another day to celebrate, woohoo! Nice blog, I'll be back!

Eric and Caralee said...

Oh yum! Reminds me of some friends my second year at Snow that roasted marshmallows on their kitchen table! Yes! The table had some sort of finish on it that allowed them to pour lighter fluid on it and start a small fire! Very entertaining, just a little nerve wracking...

Birgit said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me with the name of a good resource to check out for my thyroid. :) My MIL had hers removed because of cancer as well.

Your smores post is making my mouth water!! Oh what I wouldn't do for an ooey gooey smore right about now. :P I've never tried them with Recee's PB cups, those are my absolute favorite treat in the world! LOL! I like to eat them in small little bites to to savor the taste and make them last.

I've enjoyed visiting your blog and will be back for more of your homespun goodness.
Blessings~ Birgit

Dianna said...

So cool about 'staycation'. I love when new words are created.

I hate to admit it, but I don't even like s'mores, because I don't like graham crackers. I'll take a nicely toasted marshmallow any time, though!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Now I'm hungry! I missed it too, but I sure do love them! I had no idea I was missing such a day!

Have a great evening,
Tammy

Mimi Sue said...

I was a campfire girl but I like smores anyway. We missed national doughnut day too. It was in July! I will be eating a creamsicle to celebrate. Are there decorations that go with these holidays? Mimi

Brandi Sorensen said...

Have you ever tried roasting the toasted coconut marshmallows? Yummy and Sabrina had some with carmel swirls in them. They were delish.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Ohhhh this cracks me up. One of Sara's friends has a calendar of all the "National this, and National that" Days and they try to "honor" as many of them as they can. What a hoot.
I loved reading about your fun Wednesdays as well. Memories we will always treasure. : )
M.L.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I used to do that when I was little...roast the marshmellow's on the stove!
Rondell♥