Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Journals

I'm not a very prolific journal writer. Prolific? OK, I'm not a daily writer. Daily? OK, I seldom write. Seldom? OK, so I write sporadically. Sporadically? OK, you caught me, I stink at writing in a journal. I have a very dear friend who does so faithfully on a daily basis, and has done for years. I mean years. I could document chunks of my life from her journals! I also have another dear friend who has a feel good book. She loves to garden, and has a very magical green thumb. She grows the most beautiful tea roses this desert has ever seen! She can grow anything her heart desires! The amount of sand or lack of water are no deterrent to her! If she plants it, it grows. But when she can't get out and garden or walk, she feels edgy, and anxious. So she created a book to look at in these moments, that helps her feel uplifted. For lack of a better name, I always called it her "Feel Good Book". Inside this book are things that make her smile. Handouts from Church, pictures of her children, jokes that make her laugh, thoughts that initiate reflection, pictures from magazines she identifies with, and in short anything that makes her feel good, or at peace. I liked it so well that I made myself one . We have passed this on to others and, low and behold, I find, it's sort of like a JOURNAL.
Here are some pics from my book, which is entitled, Who I am.


Our books are art notebooks with heavy blank white pages. I made a scrappy cover for mine, which has come off, but I still carry it around with my book, and some day I'll adhere it back on. lol

This is so me.

Random pics of each of my children are in my book.

Letters . The flap of the envelope is glued down, so I can slip the letter out and read them.


All of my posterity will know how I feel about cleaning the fridge. LOL



My book is full of my feelings, views, and opions, on everything from A to Z. If you were to open my book you would know who I am. Work has begun on Volume two of Who I am.
So, even though there is muuuuuuuuuch room for improvement where writing in my journal goes, I am ,journaling after a fashion! :-) Mercy


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. My grandmother started journaling when her oldest child (my mother) was born. She has missed very few days in the 50 years that she has been journaling. She has never shared them with anyone but if there is a question about when something happened she can look it up. It is truly incredible and she tried to get me to start a journal many times and I haven't been able to keep up with it. So this is a great idea!

Annie said...

I love these. Great idea for kids.

Mimi Sue said...

This is such a GREAT idea. I do something similar when we travel, put postcards and such in it but this is a great place for all the bits and pieces of our lives. I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog. Looks like we have a lot of stuff in common. It's so nice to meet you. Mimi

Van Leuven said...

I think that is a great idea I might have to try one. I am not much of a journal writer.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I like your feel good book so much better than just journaling! What a sweet idea!!

Thanks for your offer of CS = that was so sweet - but I will wait - and whine and wait some more! (it gives me something to blog about!) LOL I have 7 copies coming and that is plenty!!

Mimi Sue said...

I hope you don't mind, I linked to you on my post today. Mimi

Beth at Aunties said...

This is wonderful you do it at all. I keep thinking I am going to and then no one would ever believe it....LOL Maybe my family blog and this blog will become my own journal. There are places who will copy them and bind them in a book for you. I am so glad I found you. Is there a connection family between of Nicole M and you?
Thank you so much for your sweet comments!

Enjoy your day:) My husband returns from a church assignment this afternoon and so my day is already made!!!! he travels 1-2 weeks a month. Lately it ahs been 2 weeks.

Jeanne Evans said...

Nice, I must say that it is easier to scrap book then to journal write.

Jeanne Evans said...

Nice, I must say that sometimes it is easier to scrap book then to journal write.