Tuesday, March 24, 2009

make over

GUESS what came in my mail on Friday? Yes, my country sampler. I haven’t had the time to sit down and read all about Karen’s beautiful home, but I have carried it around from room to room and looked at the pictures!!!

This week-end I made over the bed side table in my guest room. It is about to become LBC’s bedroom, until # 3 son is married, and then LBC will move into the larger bedroom. We are making LBC’s bedroom into an office for My DH. Anyway, This night stand was built by #2 son in shop class some years ago. He didn’t want it, and I decided it needed a paint job. I was not thinking, and didn’t get a picture of what it looked like before. It was oak, and I felt some hesitancy in painting it. It’s almost like a breaking a law or something isn’t it, painting over oak? But paint it I did! Here it is in the painting stages. We sanded it, and then painted it blue. I mixed navy and lt. blue to get this color. Then the next day, I washed it with black, and when that was dry I stained it with Minwax wood stain. I am pleased with how it turned out. I do plan on fixing the broken doors, and putting them back on.









But for now, this is how it will be, and this is its home. What do you think?





I love this bedroom. It is very small…………but it’s my favorite of all my bedrooms. In fact, the room that inspired this room is found in a CS. The 2009 Home Tour Edition, shows this home again, minus my inspiration bedroom, “Changing for the Better”, on page 86





When I first saw this home in CS. I was hooked. It was the first time I started to buy this now favorite magazine. The Primitive bug had bitten me! Here are a few pictures of my bedroom. patterned after the one in the book





I searched ebay forever it felt like, until I could find the minnow bucket I was looking for to make this lamp! It was easy to make and I love how it turned out.



Another TS buy from my trip to the city a week or so ago, was this beautiful dark red throw. It’s tag says it’s 80% wool, and 20% Cashmere. I paid 2.00 for it. It is the perfect size, folded in half to be worn as a shawl at Rendezvous this fall. It is very soft and will be a welcome addition to my 18th century wardrobe.

This is our # 1Son and his wife and one of their sons, at Rendezvous at Ft. Bridger Wyoming, last September.

This is how most of our family dresses, mid 18th century. EXCEPT DH. He wears his wranglers and boots, LOL, and I’m ok with that. .…….I do tend to get a little "sideways" about going to Ft. Bridger. We love going......... It's like a family reunion with all our kids and friends....... We camp out, we eat good, we play hard, we shop on Traders Row, and we laugh lots, and when it's time to pack up and go home, we start making plans for the next time!


And speaking of being bitten by a bug…….,



Yes, I did see Twilight over the week end. I know……...... But it's pure unadulterated fluff. And sometimes a girl just needs some fluff.

7 comments:

Linda Nelson said...

I just love what you are doing to the house I can't wait till I can come and see it again.
LOL Linda

Parkers said...

I love that lamp....who knew? It seems you have more stuff going on then one person should. I can't even get out of my chair to clean my house!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

It turned out great and I'll have to remember your painting process:) Love the blue!
Rondell

A Bit of Colour said...

I like your blue, it turned out great! Did you ever get the lamp made?? How neat is that how your family dresses. Pretty cool. I too am still working on "our" swap. Hope to finish it by the end of this week. I will let you know when it is coming your way.

katie said...

that table looks great. much better. poor #2 he did do a good job building it. when i get my new computer i will no longer be in siberia. wooooohooooo! love ya

Mimi Sue said...

I love country sampler too. Lots of primitive stuff which I love but don't have! Looks like rendezvous is lots of fun. The bedside table looks great. Mimi

Jo-Anne said...

We travel through Fort Bridger every summer on our way to the Uinta mountains. We always camp at Marsh Lake. We have stopped at Fort Bridger and walked around many times....all that OLD stuff...I am in heaven.
I really like the blue on your side table. Craig made one just like that in shop class when he was in high school!
Have a happy day~
Jo-Anne