Sunday, March 22, 2009

In Hymn Of Praise



This hymn was written by Annie S.Hawks in 1872
b.1836-d.1918
Annie Hawks wrote:
One day as a young wife and mo­ther of 37 years of age, I was bu­sy with my reg­u­lar house­hold tasks. Sud­den­ly, I be­came so filled with the sense of near­ness to the Mast­er that, won­der­ing how one could live with­out Him, ei­ther in joy or pain, these words, “I Need Thee Ev­e­ry Hour,” were ush­ered in­to my mind, the thought at once tak­ing full pos­sess­ion of me. After writ­ing the lyr­ics, Hawks gave them to her pas­tor, Ro­bert Low­ry, who add­ed the tune and re­frain.The hymn was first pub­lished at the Na­tion­al Bap­tist Sun­day School Con­ven­tion in Cin­cin­na­ti, Ohio, in No­vem­ber 1872. Some years lat­er, af­ter the death of her hus­band, Hawks wrote:I did not un­der­stand at first why this hymn had touched the great throb­bing heart of hu­man­i­ty. It was not un­til long af­ter, when the sha­dow fell over my way, the sha­dow of a great loss, that I un­der­stood some­thing of the com­fort­ing pow­er in the words which I had been per­mit­ted to give out to others in my hour of sweet se­ren­i­ty and peace.Hawks’ po­ems first be­gan ap­pear­ing in news­pa­pers when she was 14 years old. She mar­ried Charles H. Hawks in 1857. They lived in Brook­lyn, New York, and at­tend­ed the Han­son Place Bap­tist Church, where Rob­ert Low­ry was pas­tor. When her hus­band died in 1888, she moved to Ben­ning­ton, Ver­mont to live with her daugh­ter and son-in-law (W. E. Put­nam). She wrote 400 hymns in her life, most­ly for use in Sun­day schools.




This is my very favorite hymn. I love the words and the comfort I feel when I sing them. I think it's amazing that Annie wrote this song as she was cleaning house and doing other mundane tasks! ♥






I need thee every hour, Most gracious Lord. No tender voice like thine can Peace afford.
I need thee, oh I need thee: Every hour I need thee! Oh, bless me now, my Savior, I come to thee!

I need thee every hour; Stay thou near by. Temptations lose their pow'r When thou art nigh!
I need thee, 0h I need thee: Every hour I need thee! Oh bless me now, my Savior, I come to thee!

I need thee every hour, In joy or pain. Come quickly and abide, Or life is vain.
I need thee, Oh I need thee: Every hour I need thee! Oh bless me now my Savior , I come to thee!
I need thee every hour, Most holy One. Oh, Make me thine indeed, Thou blessed Son!
I need thee, Oh I need thee: Every hour I need thee! Oh bless me now my Savior, I come to thee!

3 comments:

Mama V said...

I agree I love this song!

Brenda said...

I also love this song,it has always been one of my favorites! When I lost my Mother to cancer, I found comfort in this hymn! Thanks for posting your beautiful message and hymn with it! Great post! Have a great week! You're awesome!

Parkers said...

This is also one of my favorites, along with Put your shoulder to the wheel.